Xanthan Gum FNCS-PC
Xanthan gum is an anionic, high molecular weight polysaccharide, which is used as a stabilizer and viscosity modifier in aqueous based systems. Xanthan gum solutions are pseudoplastic, i.e. they show shear thinning flow behavior. This pseudoplasticity imparts a smooth texture to the final product and provides a pleasant application. Xanthan gum is soluble in cold and hot water and shows a high degree of viscosity even in low concentrations. Even at low concentrations xanthan gum solutions show a high degree of viscosity which is not affected by temperature and pH variations.
Xanthan gum is a natural product which is non-toxic and non-irritating. It can be used in combination with other thickeners and stabilizers to improve texture, flow behavior, stability and appearance. All these properties make xanthan gum a very effective thickening and stabilizing agent for hand sanitizers.
Jungbunzlauer xanthan gum CS-PC is a clear solution grade that is ideal for transparent or very clear products. It can be used for a wide range of personal care applications, where it provides various advantageous properties. Xanthan gum exhibits superior shear-thinning behavior compared to any other commercial hydrocolloid. Major advantages of xanthan gum is that it improves texture, gives a pleasant skin feel to the product, while stabilizing suspensions, emulsions and foams. It is compatible and stable in solutions with a high salt concentration, yet is also stable in acid or alkaline solutions and is resistant to enzymatic degradation. In addition Jungbunzlauer xanthan gum CS-PC is free of enzymatic activities such as amylases and cellulases, making it compatible in combinations with starch and celluloses.
Jungbunzlauer offers xanthan gum CS-PC in two particle sizes: Xanthan Gum FNCS-PC (normal, 80 mesh) and Xanthan Gum FFCS-PC (fine, 200 mesh)
For transparent personal care applications that require reduced shear-thinning properties Jungbunzlauer recommends using our type with reduced pseudoplasticity FNCSP-PC or FFCSP-PC.
- Yellowish-Clear, free-flowing powder
- Has a neutral odor & taste
- Soluble in water giving highly viscous solution
- Particularly insoluble in organic solvents
- Personal care
Features & Benefits
- Provides a clear (transparent) solution
- Highly pseudoplastic rheological properties (i.e. is shear thinning)
- Imparts high solution viscosity even at low concentrations
- Exhibits low viscosity during processing but fully recovers viscosity after shearing
- Hydrates entirely in aqueous media
- Non-thixotropic flow behavior
- Excellent suspending and stabilizing properties for suspensions, emulsions and foams.
- Soluble in both cold and hot water
- Synergistic interaction with galactomannans, such as guar, locust bean and tara gum
- Compatible with practically all commercially available thickeners and stabilizers
- Stable over a wide range of pH and temperatures
- Compatible with and stable in systems containing high concentrations of humectants, surfactants and salt
- Resistant to enzymatic degradation
- Compatible with up to 50% aqueous solutions of organic solvents